Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Don't Knock It Till You Try It!

Ok so I am starting to realize that the “type” of church I attend might be controversial in the small North Georgia community I live in. I have to admit that Ryan and I were a little hesitant about coming to church at River Point, but we both felt lead to try it out. In the end we realized that God was leading our family there and the past 3 years have been amazing. We were happy with the church we were attending before and we still love and miss the sweet friends we have there. Though we miss them very much we had to be obedient to God.



Through our obedience I have found that my relationship with Jesus has become deeper and more passionate. At this phase in my life I am realizing that being with Jesus should be natural and easy and that I should soak him up every chance I get.



Worshiping God has become such a natural part of my life. The girls and I like to rock out in the morning on the way to school and nothing brings tears to my eyes faster than the sight of them in the rear view mirror lifting their arms in the air and shouting praises to his name! I also love to worship in the morning when I am getting ready for my day- mostly I sing- Sing Sing Sing by Chris Tomlin as I dance around the bathroom. Worshiping Jesus should bring you to life and fill you up with the Holy Spirit so that all you want to do is sing, sing, sing.



I have heard all kinds of questions about my church- do you speak in tongues? Do you you guys dance around and shout? Is your music always loud? Do you guys have drug addicts and guy people at your church? Well…



I have never heard anyone speak in tongues, but it is biblical so I won’t say it will never happen because Jesus says it can. Yes, we worship Jesus and sometimes we lift our hands and yes, the music is loud. Yes, we invite all sinners in our church even you! Hey, I go there and I am no better than any other Christian- I just try to be like Jesus and hoping that when I see Jesus face to face he will look at me and say, “well done my good and faithful daughter”.



I was so moved by the new series that Pastor Kevin started on Sunday that I decided to copy the notes that I twitted onto my blog. If you would like to listen to the sermon in it’s entirety you can here.



The way we worship at our church is BIBICAL! The way I worship is BIBICAL! The time you spend with God, the time you worship God should leave you so full of the Holy Spirit that you want nothing more than to lift your hands and spin around and you should want to sing, sing, sing and shout his name. God is so much bigger than the air you breathe that when you breathe him in you should exhale him out. Worship should leave you excited and motivated and strengthened.



New series: Worship Matters



2 Samuel 6:1-13 David just wanted to worship God and it went way wrong so they began to study Exodus 24:14-16.



God says when my presence is going to move it's going to be carried on the backs of men.

Worship that matters is defined by God's word!



Why do we worship at riverpointchurch.com the way we do?



Psalm 63:4 so we lift our hands!

I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.



1 Timothy 2:8 so we lift our hands!

I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.



2 Samuel 22:50 so we sing!

Therefore I will praise you, O LORD, among the nations; I will sing praises to your name.



1 Chronicles 15:16 so we use instruments!

David told the leaders of the Levites to appoint their brothers as singers to sing joyful songs, accompanied by musical instruments: lyres, harps and cymbals.



Psalm 33:3 so we sing current songs, play skillfully, & shout for joy!

Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy.



Psalm 47:1 so we cry out in joy!

Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.



1 Chronicles 16:9 we tell stories!

Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts.



1 Chronicles 15:22 so we are excellent and skillful.

Kenaniah the head Levite was in charge of the singing; that was his responsibility because he was skillful at it.



Psalm 46:10 so we are still!

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."



2 Samuel 6:14 so we dance!

David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the LORD with all his might,



Where the spirit of the Lord is there is FREEDOM!



You & I were made to worship so SING SING SING!



You & I were made to worship so lift your hands and spin around, see this light that I have found.


*****Note*****
I feel the same way about church as I do about schools- there are options because there is a "right" place for every family! My parents don't enjoy the same type of worship as Ryan and I, but they also don't knock it or frown upon us. So like I said- don't knock it till you try it and if you don't like it keep your mouth shut! It works for my family and other families like ours. We like the culturally relevant and current worship at our church and I can’t refute that the spirit of the Lord is in that place (RPCC) or my car or my bathroom…

Can I get an Amen? –Just Kidding!


3 comments:

Garretts said...

you are so right, Kristin. There are so many different types of worship, and it's wonderful to read about your family having found a place that fits you :)

Tiffany said...

I totally agree with you! I am so glad that we are blessed with the ability to make the choice of where and how we choose to worship! Your church sounds amazing!

Kendra said...

AMEN TO THAT!!! Every Church is different and that is a great chance for people to find what works for them. David and I are like you guys, we like to WORSHIP with singing & raising our arms! I even was rocking out singing super loud in the shower yesterday (I am missing the praise music since I can't go to church right now due to being on rest)...I like to worship loudly now so the babies will be used to it =)

Thanks for your prayers!!!! CAN'T WAIT to hold these sweet miracles =)

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Me- well: I love God! I love people! I love my family! I love my husband! I love being a mom! I love having twins! I love my friends! I love children! I love teaching! I love my church! I love red wine! I love watching my children play! I love summer! I love the beach! I love bonfires! I love the lake! I love to laugh! I have the most wonderful husband- he takes care of me and helps me out when I over commit myself. I love being a mom- twins are great! I hate when people say, "I don't know how you do it!"- I just do what needs to be done. At the end of the day our house may not be clean and the clothes may not get folded and put away, but everyone is safe, fed, and loved. My friends- oh you mean the people I used to hang out with, but never see anymore! Yeah, I love them too. I have learned that God brings all kinds of people into our lives. Some of those people are great friends while you are in school, some are great friends while you are in college, and some are great friends at work or church. Then there are the few- the special friends that stick around for a lifetime. I am so blessed to have so many lifetimers!!!