Friday, April 2, 2010

Torn

I love Holy Week! Perhaps, it is my favorite week of the year. You might assume it is because of Easter. While I love Easter very much it is not my favorite day during Holy Week; I would have to say Good Friday holds that honor.


People celebrate Good Friday in many different ways or maybe they don’t celebrate it all, instead focusing all their attention on Easter Day. I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to celebrate either nor do I think one should get more glory than the other. It is more of a personal conviction for me.


Every year on this day my heart becomes heavy and laden with guilt. I feel convicted of my sins- in such a way that I want to weep. I want to fall at the feet of Jesus and cry for forgiveness. I am so full of sorrow over the death of my Savior. I feel so much guilt for the suffering he endured for me. I want to do something to right my wrongs, but there is nothing. Nothing I can do, but offer myself daily to him.


For the next two days I will morn over my sins. I will weep because my sins caused the suffering of Christ. My sins mocked him. My sins placed a crown of thorns on his head. My sins stabbed him in the side. My sins humiliated him. My sins undressed him. My sins jabbed nails through his hands and feet. My sins did that. My sins.


You might think this is a little over kill for Good Friday- I know it is followed by the resurrection of Christ and that deserves celebration and exalting. But, I believe Good Friday deserves more than a quick tear over the death of a righteous and decent guy. Jesus is far more than a righteous and decent guy, he is the Son of God. Good Friday is the day the greatest sacrifice was ever made. The day- the sinless son of God was killed for my sins. The day- God sacrificed his son for the sins of the world. Tell me this day- this Good Friday doesn’t deserve more than a quick tear. Tell me it doesn’t deserve deep repentance.


When it is finished- when this day is over I will be left with quite morning. Then, Sunday, Easter Sunday- celebration!


It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour, for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last. Luke 23:44-46


God Bless all my blog readers (all 4 of you-hehehe!) on Good Friday and Easter!



2 comments:

Garretts said...

beautiful reflection on this beautiful day...see you soon, sweet friend!

Sarah said...

Totally get it, Kristin. Maundy Thursday service is always my favorite because it is so solemn and truly reflects the weight of what Jesus went through for us. I just can't even wrap my head around it. It is overwhelming grief and thankfulness all at the same time. Have a wonderful weekend, friend.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Me- well: I love God! I love people! I love my family! I love my husband! I love being a mom! I love having twins! I love my friends! I love children! I love teaching! I love my church! I love red wine! I love watching my children play! I love summer! I love the beach! I love bonfires! I love the lake! I love to laugh! I have the most wonderful husband- he takes care of me and helps me out when I over commit myself. I love being a mom- twins are great! I hate when people say, "I don't know how you do it!"- I just do what needs to be done. At the end of the day our house may not be clean and the clothes may not get folded and put away, but everyone is safe, fed, and loved. My friends- oh you mean the people I used to hang out with, but never see anymore! Yeah, I love them too. I have learned that God brings all kinds of people into our lives. Some of those people are great friends while you are in school, some are great friends while you are in college, and some are great friends at work or church. Then there are the few- the special friends that stick around for a lifetime. I am so blessed to have so many lifetimers!!!