Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"All I Ask For is 3 Months"

It has started.

Football Season.

Ryan is a LOVER of football! All football from little league to Pro. He has a favorite college team, but really he holds no bisas so long as the team is not playing Georgia Tech. Yes, Tech is his favorite team and if you really knew him it wouldn’t surprise you.

As much as he loves football and is a sport fanatic in general; deep down he is a dork. That’s right a dork and he won’t deny it. He hides it well, but don’t be fooled by his charade. He was always the teacher’s pet, a title he is actually proud of. (I can’t tell you how often his old teachers come up to me and say, “I just loved having Ryan in my class. He was one of the best students I’ve ever tought”. –GAG!) This Teacher’s Pet continues to be a lover of math and physics; pocket protectors and calculators.

His gift of ingenuity and his passion for math naturally leads him to favor Georgia Tech over the other obvious choice. But, really unless UGA is playing GT it doesn’t matter he truly loves the game.

It is the dawn of football season and he’s already started saying, “all I ask for is 3 months, you can have me the other 9- I just need 3 months”. That is what he says, what he actually means is, “I want you to sit on the couch while I sit in ‘my chair’ and watch at least 3 games with me on Saturday and Sunday and at least 1 maybe 2 games with me if it’s a week night. Make sure the kids don’t bug me and that I am only required to have miminal participation in their lives. I require a pantry that is well stocked with munchies and we need to have enough ‘Daddy Cokes’ on hand for any major upsets or seat clenchers. OH, the most important thing for you to do is remain QUITE- DO NOT under any circumstance ask questions reguarding the rules of the game”.

I really want Ryan to have the desires of his heart, but so far in our relationship I have only been able to fulfill part of his request. He does watch a lot of football durning season and I am pretty good at keeping the kids out of his hair and the drinks and snacks are easy enough. It’s the last part that I’m not so good at- sit quite and pretend you like what you are seeing and that you totally understand it.

I don’t have any reason in specific for not loving football. In fact- for as long as I can remember football has been a part of my life. I remember toddling around the practice field at Central Gwinnett High School while my older brother practiced. I remember dancing under the staduium lights in my tutu and ballet shoes on Friday nights at CGHS. I remember hot chocolate and snuggling with my dad on the black and gold bleachers to keep warm. I remember my dad and his friends getting ready to tailgate at Georgia Tech games. I remember on Saturdays the T.V. was forever locked on games. I remember my baby brother sporting his blue and orange jersery like it was a Gucci suit. I remember my mom organizing booster club meetings and t-shirt sales. I remember the stinky pads, cleats, gym clothes, and grass satins. I remember traveling to Rhodes College to watch one of my good friends play ball. I remember taking pictures of my parents and little brother on senior night at Habersham Central High School. I remember watching Ryan play through googly eyes and then trying not to gag from his stench when he wanting his after game hug (I had no problem with hugs after he showered ;)). With all these wonderful memories one would think I would love football or at least autumn. But, trouth be told I just don’t enjoy the game like Ryan does and actually I am really more of a summertime girl.

*Note- I did not say I don’t like football, I said I don’t love football. I think some of my dislike of the sport comes from my lack of football comprehension (Ryan would consider that a learning deficiency.) So in an effort to fulfill Ryan’s request in full. I have been doing some reading and youtube watching. We will see soon enough if my studies have paid off. Though I don’t believe football will ever be one of my passions, at least I might be able to keep up WITHOUT asking questions.

So to my Helluva of an Engineer – there will be plenty of clear whisky, your daughters will be dressed in white and gold- they will cheer on the brave and bold. To hell with Georgia- drink to all good fellows who come from far and near –You, ramblin', gamblin', hell of an engineer.

I hope the next 3 months are all you expect them to be.


GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JACKETS!



Below is the song I wanted to have playing, but I guess it's too new. Anyway, you can listen to the video, but you may have to turn my music off on the side- something a few of you won't mind doing I am sure. ;)

Kenny Chesney - "The Boys Of Fall": "Hemingway's Whiskey"

3 comments:

Garretts said...

hope he enjoys his fall.

i know you hate georgia, but they have a Football 101 class for women every summer (usually in the fall)...you learn all about the game and get to play too! think ryan would agree to let you go just to get you to keep from asking questions!

Tiffany said...

OH MY GOSH, Kristin! Laura is brilliant! We are SOOOOOOO going next summer! AHahahahaha! We'll be Georgia Alumnis!!!!!! ;)

Debbie said...

blog surfing tonight, I got here from Lindsey's blog...I didn't know you all are Tech fans! It's so nice to know that I'm not alone. Go Tech!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Me- well: I love God! I love people! I love my family! I love my husband! I love being a mom! I love having twins! I love my friends! I love children! I love teaching! I love my church! I love red wine! I love watching my children play! I love summer! I love the beach! I love bonfires! I love the lake! I love to laugh! I have the most wonderful husband- he takes care of me and helps me out when I over commit myself. I love being a mom- twins are great! I hate when people say, "I don't know how you do it!"- I just do what needs to be done. At the end of the day our house may not be clean and the clothes may not get folded and put away, but everyone is safe, fed, and loved. My friends- oh you mean the people I used to hang out with, but never see anymore! Yeah, I love them too. I have learned that God brings all kinds of people into our lives. Some of those people are great friends while you are in school, some are great friends while you are in college, and some are great friends at work or church. Then there are the few- the special friends that stick around for a lifetime. I am so blessed to have so many lifetimers!!!