Wednesday, August 18, 2010

REST

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. Psalm 62:1

I know my post have been few and far between lately; my life has been insanely busy. As full of activity as life has been this spring and summer I have held on to a promise God has been whispering to me- “I will give you rest soon”.

So in my mind I assumed the rest would come during the vacation “I” planned- 7 days of rest…

Here are the pictures from our “restful” days-

Well, you know and I know all that fun did not come about without loads of laboring. I was beginning to become angry with God for not providing me with the “rest” he promised and I so desperately needed. Since we were on vacation shouldn’t he have worked it in this week?

On the last day Ryan and my dad packed the car and my mom watched Brennan as I suited up the twins and we caught one more wave before we left.

It was early and the beach was empty so I placed my chair at the edge of the water. The girls danced to the rhythm of the ocean. They picked up shells and marveled at the mighty work of God. Blythe stared at the water with me saying, “Wow Mom! God did a great job with this beach and the ocean! He made this just for me just for today”. All I could say is, “yes, yes he did”.

As they played I searched for my camera or my cell to take their pictures as they played- I left them in the room. I had no idea how I was going to remember this moment. I wanted so badly not to forget their pony tails swinging back and forth as they ran in and out of the waves; their polka dot bikinis and their Coppertone fannies; their giggles when the waves splashed their faces; the mountain of shells they piled in the sand; the sound of their voices filled with excitement; and the prayer of thanksgiving they each offered up to our Marvelous and Wonderful creator.

Then, the Holy Spirit whispered a secret in my ear. I was rested- in that short outing to the beach I was rested and I was enjoying a special moment with my sweet girls. The Holy Spirit was telling me I didn’t need a photo to remember. It was an experience that will be forever etched in the minds of myself and my daughters. A moment created by God, in an ocean created by God, on a beach created by God, with my daughters who were created by God. It was BEAUTIFUL!




2 comments:

Garretts said...

LOVE this post, Kristin. God is good.

It may not be the best parallel, but John Mayer has a song "3 x 5"

here's an excerpt:
didn't have a camera by my side this time.
hoping i would see the world through both my eyes...

today i finally overcame trying to fit the world inside a picture frame...

So, glad God gave you a bit of rest and then helped you realize it. Thanks for your hard work on MOPS. It was great!

thehollandfamily said...

Wow is all I can say. I agree Laura God is good. He does ALWAYS provide us what we need. I know sometimes I am so busy I don't see what he is trying to show me. Thanks for reminding me it is in the little things that God show us so much. What a beautiful post a tribute to the Man Above!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Me- well: I love God! I love people! I love my family! I love my husband! I love being a mom! I love having twins! I love my friends! I love children! I love teaching! I love my church! I love red wine! I love watching my children play! I love summer! I love the beach! I love bonfires! I love the lake! I love to laugh! I have the most wonderful husband- he takes care of me and helps me out when I over commit myself. I love being a mom- twins are great! I hate when people say, "I don't know how you do it!"- I just do what needs to be done. At the end of the day our house may not be clean and the clothes may not get folded and put away, but everyone is safe, fed, and loved. My friends- oh you mean the people I used to hang out with, but never see anymore! Yeah, I love them too. I have learned that God brings all kinds of people into our lives. Some of those people are great friends while you are in school, some are great friends while you are in college, and some are great friends at work or church. Then there are the few- the special friends that stick around for a lifetime. I am so blessed to have so many lifetimers!!!