Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fast

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live, and in you name I will lift up my hands. Psalm 63:1-4

The Holy Spirit has been using this verse in the past month or so to speak to me.

It’s no secret that I love to worship! If I could be someone from the bible I would be King David - at least right now. I love to sing loudly and dance with my girls in the car. Sometime in the grocery store when I am saving money for our family I want to just give a little shout out to the Big Man. Or when Ryan and I just don’t think there is “enough” money and the King of our checkbook turns a dime into a dollar I want to offer praise to Him. I do usually- some people may think I am crazy or insane. That’s what David’s wife thought of him, but it didn’t stop him from dancing in the streets and it won’t stop me either. So if the nurse that walked in on me praying prayers of thanksgiving over LB in the ER when her fever broke thinks I’m crazy- it’s ok because I know who broke that fever and wasn’t her!

Oddly enough I can’t get enough of him. Not that that is odd- it’s just that no matter how much time I spend with Jesus I still end up wanting more of him. I want to be so close to him that my His thoughts are my thoughts, His words are my words, my heart is in sync with His, His burdens are my burdens.

I am not spending as much time with him as I did this summer and I know that is why the Holy Spirit is speaking to me so consistently. I know that God is jealous of my job, my students, my children, my husband, my friends, my house, my “stuff”, anything that separates me from him. He longs for me to be with Him and I long to be with Him as well.

I told a friend of mine a few weeks ago that I just want to go off to a desert somewhere and be alone with Jesus. She suggested I at least bring a hammock. Though it’s a good idea it’s not practical for my life.

So I am fasting.

I struggle with telling people that I fast because people are curious and ask a lot of questions. I understand that so here is a great website with resources. I mostly struggle with people knowing because it is such a private and sacrificial affair between Jesus and me that I don’t like to share the experience with others.

If you have never experienced fasting you should try it. People fast from all kinds of things, but I find food works best for me. I do caution against fasting from just anything. If you fast from the internet and then don’t spend the time you would normally spend on the internet with Jesus then you aren’t really fasting. If you have fasted in the past and really didn’t get what all the hoopla is about perhaps you weren’t fasting from something you can’t live without, which drives you to the feet of Jesus. Which is where going without food leads me- at the sweet feet of Jesus! Exactly where I need to be right now- on my knees in worship, where life becomes clear and direction becomes irrelevant because just knowing that Jesus is the bread and water of my life is enough!

When I finish my fast I will be renewed and refreshed so watch out I might start sing praises out loud in the Grocery store or the girls and I might take our “car worship” out onto hwy 365 for all to see!


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Me- well: I love God! I love people! I love my family! I love my husband! I love being a mom! I love having twins! I love my friends! I love children! I love teaching! I love my church! I love red wine! I love watching my children play! I love summer! I love the beach! I love bonfires! I love the lake! I love to laugh! I have the most wonderful husband- he takes care of me and helps me out when I over commit myself. I love being a mom- twins are great! I hate when people say, "I don't know how you do it!"- I just do what needs to be done. At the end of the day our house may not be clean and the clothes may not get folded and put away, but everyone is safe, fed, and loved. My friends- oh you mean the people I used to hang out with, but never see anymore! Yeah, I love them too. I have learned that God brings all kinds of people into our lives. Some of those people are great friends while you are in school, some are great friends while you are in college, and some are great friends at work or church. Then there are the few- the special friends that stick around for a lifetime. I am so blessed to have so many lifetimers!!!