Sunday, April 25, 2010

3 Pounds to 30!

4 years ago yesterday God blessed Ryan and I with our firstborns. Within one minute Ryan and I became parents twice! I remember feeling completely confident that God had chosen that unique moment for them to be born. It was 9 weeks to soon, but perfect all the same.

I wish I could say I was blown away with by their beauty, but I have to be honest! Their skin was like leather, their eyes looked like they were bugging out, Blythe’s nose was squished flat, they squeaked instead of cried, there were parts of their body that were not completely formed and they were tiny- 3lbs 9oz. and 3lbs. 4oz.

Their births enable me to have the unique opportunity to watch them develop and grow outside of my body-
all I have to say is our God is an incredible engineer. I have been awe struck by God’s handy work- watching them grow from 3lbs. to 30. What a journey it has been…

They no longer have leathery skin- it is beautiful, smooth, and it smells like sweat, sun screen, cookies, and strawberries.

Their eyes don’t bug out anymore- Underneath the dark umbrella of Bree’s lashes are the prettiest light blue eyes and below Blythe’s eyelashes is a beautiful blue shade with a hint of green.

Blythe’s nose is no longer squashed- her cute little pug nose can sniff out sugar faster than our dog can smell us cooking on the grill.

They no longer squeak- they cry, they scream, they sing, they chatter, and they giggle. I love that their voices are a part of the music in our home.

They are completely formed- and they continue to evolve and change daily and I am honored that God choose me to be the nurturing influence on them.

It seems like yesterday I was visiting with them for the first time in the NICU- lingering at each incubator, staring at the 3 pound lumps inside, longing to touch and hold them. Four years and 30 lbs. later- I linger at their beds at night, I stare at their sweet sleeping faces, and sometimes I snuggle up to them and hold them tight!

What a privilege it has been to be specifically chosen by God to bear his twins, to be a mother to 2 at once. What a unique and special time in mine and Ryan’s life. I am honored that God has entrusted us with these beautiful girls. I pray that we nurture and parent them in a way that is pleasing to him and that he will look on us favorably when our job has been completed.






4 comments:

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Bree & Blythe!
Beautiful post, Kristin!

our little family said...

happy happy birthday, girls! Love the pictures and the updates on how far they've come...what little miracles they are! the little chicks are so cute!!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, sweet girls! What an amazing God we have, and what a privilege to be a mom. Love your post. It goes by too fast, doesn't it? I never believed it when people said it till I had my own. Now I know!

thehollandfamily said...

It is funny that you posted this because I was just thinking about how I notice how my girls look like their dad but not how they look like me. You gave beautiful descriptions of your girls.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Me- well: I love God! I love people! I love my family! I love my husband! I love being a mom! I love having twins! I love my friends! I love children! I love teaching! I love my church! I love red wine! I love watching my children play! I love summer! I love the beach! I love bonfires! I love the lake! I love to laugh! I have the most wonderful husband- he takes care of me and helps me out when I over commit myself. I love being a mom- twins are great! I hate when people say, "I don't know how you do it!"- I just do what needs to be done. At the end of the day our house may not be clean and the clothes may not get folded and put away, but everyone is safe, fed, and loved. My friends- oh you mean the people I used to hang out with, but never see anymore! Yeah, I love them too. I have learned that God brings all kinds of people into our lives. Some of those people are great friends while you are in school, some are great friends while you are in college, and some are great friends at work or church. Then there are the few- the special friends that stick around for a lifetime. I am so blessed to have so many lifetimers!!!